Açai (pronounced as ah-SAH-ee) is a true powerhouse of amazing antioxidants! As with many ancient super-foods, this little blue berry was used for many centuries by an old culture, living close to nature. The Indians of the Amazon knew why they made this most nutritious fruit on the planet part of their daily diet. Açai berries produce immense amounts of antioxidants to protect themselves against the UV rays in the tropics. As you well know, dark “blue” is the King under the pigments, indicating the presence of high levels of antioxidants in food. Meaning: protection against cancer and ageing.
Açai has many life-saving, anti-ageing and natural beauty benefits…
- It is at the top of the ORAC list (Oxygen Radical Absorption Capacity)
- Because of the high doses of antioxidants, Açai fights cancer!
- Each berry contains 19 amino acids (the building blocks of proteins)
- Açai is a low glycemic fruit meaning that it is low in sugar
- The monosaturated, essential fatty acid Oleic acid is an oil for beauty
- It contains high levels of the 3 potent essential fatty acids, omega 3, 6 and 9!
- Its fiber helps with your digestion and keeps your colon healthy
- Açai secures a longer life because of its ability to regenerate and produce stem cells…
Of course, fresh is always best and when you are living in America you may be able to find them in their original state. If not, you can still enjoy its power from the powder form they are offered in. I always have a bag (choose raw and organic!) within my reach in the kitchen and once the season of the berries has ended and winter is laying ahead, I start adding Açai powder to my smoothies and raw elixirs.
The colder it gets, the more Açai I tend to use and it has been helping me to get through winter without colds or flu ever since. Here is my formula I absolutely adore, simply because it is tasty, filling and delivering extreme stamina…
Make this Açai Antioxidant Smoothie part of your day and you will whirl through winter healthy and beautifully!
- A blender
INGREDIENTS FOR 1 or 2 SERVINGS
- 2 bananas
- 2 heaped tsps of Açai powder
- 2 C of rejuvelac, spring water or fresh Thai coconut water
- A few leaves of fresh mint (optional but nice)
- Juice of 1 lime (or lemon)
- For even more antioxidants: add 1/2 C of fresh or frozen berries of your choice
- 1/4 C of Chia Seed Gel (1 TBSP Chia seeds soaked for 10 minutes in 1/4 C of water)
THE MAKING OF…
Just blend and enjoy!